Domaine Chandon is currently seeking a Viticulturist to be responsible for providing in-house viticultural services using available intellectual, technical, physical and natural resources to grow exceptional quality grapes consistent with needs of the wine portfolio and grape supply in order to achieve the goals of the Business.
Domaine Chandon's Viticulturist will be responsible to:
Assist the Winegrowing Team in delivering the highest quality wine-grapes at optimized cost through the following: 80%
• Assist Director of Winegrowing with developing annual vineyard management plans for Contract Management Companies, includingOversight of the Contract Management's logistical planning/implementation/follow-up program for cultural operations throughout the yearand . coordinating and attending monthly contract management company meetings to ensure quality and financial standards are met.
• Assist with providing input to the annual budget process.
• Monitor pests and diseases in Domaine Chandon & Newton Estate vineyards (henceforth DCC & NWT), provide a weekly status report to the Vineyard Operations management, and recommend IPM strategies when action is needed. Utilize Walsh Vineyards Management Database information systems for data collection, transfer and reporting.
• Regarding DCC & NV, maintain updated block maps. Provide info regarding pest status and fruit quality to Director of Winegrowing & Winemakers as needed.
• Maintain grape maturity assessment program in DCC & NV NWT estate vineyards including the management of temporary sampling technicians.
• Assist with DCC & NV NWT outside grower contracts when requested.
• Coordinate and report on pest and disease related problems, including Powdery Mildew, Eutypa, Pierce's Disease, Vine Mealybug, European Grape Moth, Light Brown Apple Moth and recommend bio & chemical control. Collect & review pesticide use reports prior to harvest.
• Coordinate & manage the collection of estate vineyard data including pruning weights, crop weights, tissue and soil sampling, phenology, NDVI, cultural practices, and crop estimation for DCC & NWT estate vineyards (and grower vineyards when requested).
• Responsible for developing all research and technical experiments for DCC & NWT estate vineyards.
• Coordinate annual technical vineyard mapping involving EVI (Enhanced Vegetative Index), Anthocyanin, Chlorophyll and Nitrogen for DCC & NWT estate vineyards.
• Provide Bud break, post-Set and Veraison crop estimates to the Director of Winegrowing as well as outsourced Contract Vineyard Management.
Drive the Sustainable Farming Plan within the group while maintaining focus on quality at optimized cost:20%
• Assist with the incorporation of GIS-based data systems into the Vineyard Database.
• Assist in vineyard developmental planning and budget tracking management.
• Manage irrigation programs for vineyard operations, including scheduling, water status monitoring, county recycled water, and CIMIS/Adcon weather data. Communicate data with Contract Vineyard Management.
• Oversee weed control program --- Provide recommendations to Contract Management regarding coordinating mechanical and chemical control, timing, rates and formulations. Review pesticide use reporting.
• Oversee fertility programs and review with Director of Winegrowing and Contract Vineyard Management. Includes tissue/soil analysis, timing, formulation, rates, as well as budgeting and costs.
• Oversee and advise on vertebrate pest problems and their treatments focusing on sustainability and non-chemical controls.
• Oversee and advise cover crop program, assisting with selection, planting and purchasing recommendations of materials, and field trials.
• Maintain vineyard experiments, design new investigations, collect pertinent data, and provide a conclusive write-up on the results.
• Maintain vineyard block historical databases.
• Assist in the pre-harvest review of pesticide usage records for contracted grapes purchased by DCC & NWT.
• Cooperate with educational and industry professionals on research projects and participate in industry work groups and committees.
• Attend viticultural seminars/workshops and report updates to Vineyard Operations management.
• Assist with the oversight of vineyard and landscaping safety programs.
Education: Bachelor of Science degree in Viticulture or related sciences.
Languages: English, Spanish preferred but not required.
Professional experience & know how:
• 3 - 5 years of general viticulture experience.
• Experience and knowledge with high end, luxury & quality winegrowing.
• Experience and knowledge with Napa Valley hillside terroir preferred.
• Knowledge/experience with Pest identification/monitoring, Irrigation Water Management and Vine Nutrition beneficial.
• Computer skills including database management, spreadsheets, word processing, Internet necessary (Microsoft Office Suite and Lotus)
Technical & management skills:
• PCA & PAL licenses preferred but not required.
• Valid CA drivers license with a clean record necessary.
Personal & interpersonal skills:
• Good organizational skills
• Effective communication skills.resulting in achieved objectives & enhanced relationships with others
• Dealing with ambiguity, including adaptability, given diverse styles of business partners reactivity,
• Ability to work well within a team environment and collaborate effectively with multiple customers/partners
• Customer focused, with an ability to meet simultaneous service level demands both internal and external
• Must be willing to work a flexible schedule with extended hours, especially during harvest.
• Ability to perform duties and responsibilities in a manner consistent with the company's value of exhibiting the highest quality standards in all endeavors.
Domaine Chandon, Inc., is the leading sparkling wine producer in the Napa Valley and an emerging producer of varietal wines. Founded in 1973, Domaine Chandon was the first American sparkling wine venture established by a French Champagne house, Moet & Chandon. Domaine Chandon, Inc., is a part of the Wine & Spirits Division of LVMH â€" MoÃ«t Hennessy Louis Vuitton, the leading worldwide luxury goods company specializing in the wine and spirits, fashion, leather goods, perfumes, cosmetics, watches, jewelry and selective retailing.
To apply, please email us your resume including your salary history in the cover letter at jobs@ chandon.com or come in person to the Administrative Offices at 1 California Drive, Yountville, CA 94599
Domaine Chandon is an Equal Opportunity Employer